BRUU - The Gourmet Subscription Tea Club

Getting the ideal brewing temperature

The effects of correctly BRUUing tea can be amazing and you'll soon get into the habit once you've tasted the difference. 

What temperature does water boil at?  Well that’s an easy one and anyone paying attention in Chemistry at school would know it’s 100°c.

But some of our more delicate teas need the water to be 90°c, 80°c degrees and some at 70°c!! Temperature is critical in making good tea.

The popular conception is that boiling water can be used on any kind of tea which is actually incorrect. In fact, each variety of tea, from green to black, needs to be prepared at a different range of temperatures.  Due to its more delicate processing, green tea often needs a cooler temperature to bring out the right flavour. Conversely, black tea, which has been fully oxidized, needs much hotter water to bring out its characteristic baked sweetness.

Here at BRUU we have invested in a fancy kettle with a thermometer! But we do not expect everyone to have such a luxury. 

Here is our suggestion to help you enjoy our fine yummy teas at their very best.  For example, to infuse our Exotic White Lemon the water needs to be at 70°c.

To get your water close to that temperature all you need to do is boil your kettle and instead of filling the cup to the top, fill it to only 70%. Then for the remaining 30% left add cold water. This will roughly give you a water temperature of 70°c.

Here are a few more examples:-

  • 70°c tea – Fill cup 70% with boiling water and the rest with cold
  • 80°c tea -  Fill cup 80% with boiling water and the rest with cold
  • 90°c tea – Fill cup 90% with boiling water and the rest with cold

Happy BRUUing Tea Lovers

Leave a comment:


Your personalised box is being created...

Are there any ingredients you'd rather not find in your BRUU?

Click an option below to remove it from the teas we send you.
If we don't have it listed just email us after you have joined BRUU


Are there any teas you don't like?

We'll send you all of our tea types!

Enter your details and let's get started

I have a voucher | Is this a gift?

Choose your BRUU plan

All with FREE UK delivery + cancel anytime

I have a voucher | Is this a gift?