Sleeping can be difficult sometimes, especially if you’re dealing with stress or anxiety. Luckily, there are a few teas that can help you relax and get a good night’s sleep.
Keep reading to learn about the best teas for sleep.
Best teas to help you fall asleep
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea is one of the most popular teas for sleep. This herbal tea is made from the chamomile flower and has a sweet, floral flavour. Chamomile tea is known for its calming effects and can help to soothe the nerves.
- Lavender Tea: Lavender tea is another great option for those looking for soothing tea to help them sleep. This tea has a light, floral flavour and is made from the lavender plant. Lavender tea can help to relax the body and mind, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Valerian Root Tea: Valerian root tea is another herbal tea that’s popular for its sleep-inducing effects. This tea has a slightly bitter taste and is made from the roots of the valerian plant. Valerian root tea can help to calm the nervous system and ease anxiety, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Magnolia Tea: Magnolia tea is a traditional Chinese medicine that’s often used as a natural sleep aid. This tea is made from the dried bark, buds, and stems of the magnolia plant and contains honokiol and magnolol, two compounds that have sedative effects.
Passionflower tea is a herbal tea that’s made from the passionflower plant. This tea has a light, sweet flavour and is known for its calming effects. Passionflower tea can help to reduce anxiety and promote sleep.
These are just a few of the best teas for sleep. If you’re looking for a tea to help you relax and get a good night’s sleep, try one of these options.
Avoid these teas before bedtime
While there are some great teas to help you sleep, there are also a few types of tea that you should avoid drinking before bed.
- Caffeinated Tea: Caffeinated tea, such as black tea, green tea, or white tea, should be avoided before bedtime. Caffeine is a stimulant and can keep you awake and make it difficult to fall asleep.
- Oolong Tea: Oolong tea is a type of tea that’s somewhere between green tea and black tea in terms of caffeine content. While it doesn’t have as much caffeine as black tea, it still has enough to keep you awake at night.
- Tea with added sugar: Tea with added sugar, such as many fruit teas and some green teas, can also keep you awake at night. The sugar in these teas can cause a spike in blood sugar levels, which can make it difficult to fall asleep.
Now that you know about the best teas for sleep (and which ones to avoid), try drinking a cup of one of these teas before bed and see if it helps you relax and get a good night’s sleep. You may be surprised at how well they work.